What is Inspec?
IET Inspec is a scientific and technical database for subject-specific and interdisciplinary research in the global fields of engineering, physics, electronics and computer science. It contains over 20 million records of research literature, and for over 50 years it’s been an invaluable resource for researchers, engineers and information professionals.
Find out more about Inspec’s unique indexing and why Inspec is the database of choice for numerous prestigious research institutions around the world.
Using Inspec Direct
Inspec Direct combines the relevance and accuracy of the Inspec database with the simplicity of a search engine interface, making your research journey as efficient as possible so that you can:
- keep pace with developments in the fast-moving world of science, engineering and technology
- pinpoint the latest global research in your field
- access quality data quickly
- avoid research duplication and “reinventing the wheel”
- track your competitor movements to stay one step ahead
- accelerate your R&D activities by saving time and money.
Inspec Direct provides direct access to query the Inspec database (1969 - present) and the Inspec Archive (1898 - 1968).
The Inspec database contains over 20 million records from more than 4,500 global physics and engineering journals, patent documents, conference proceedings and videos, dating back to 1969. A full list of indexed journals can be found on the IET’s website.
Inspec focuses on four main subject areas:
- Electrical engineering and electronics
- Computers and control
- Mechanical and production engineering
Each of these main subjects contains numerous sub-sections within the same genre. Our detailed subject classification hierarchy contains more than 3,500 unique codes.
The Inspec Archive within Inspec Direct represents the digitised version of the original Science Abstracts series, extending coverage back from 1898 -1968.
Find out more about the Inspec Archive.